Research published in May 2018 by Lloyds Bank Foundation for England and Wales and the Big Lottery Fund, revealed how intergenerational homesharing can help reduce loneliness and isolation, improve wellbeing and address the lack of affordable housing options. Homeshare is based on trust and friendship, allowing people to ‘live well’ within their chosen communities.
The evaluation, commissioned by SCIE and conducted by Traverse, looked at what works to develop a sustainable Homeshare scheme, through:
- Identifying which approaches and activities work best as well as barriers
- Assessing the cost and benefits of the schemes
- Identifying what would encourage a wider take up of Homeshare, through the development of a framework of factors to be used by commissioners to assess bids for Homeshare schemes.
The evaluation found that the Homeshare model:
- reduces loneliness and improves wellbeing by offering companionship and facilitating inter-generational relationships
- provides affordable housing for younger people who are often priced out.
The evaluation was funded by Lloyds Bank Foundation for England and Wales (LBF) and the Big Lottery Fund (BLF), who have collectively invested £2m in the Homeshare Partnership programme. The programme included supporting the set up of Homeshare schemes at eight sites in England and Scotland, to test and develop the model. Further details about these sites are provided in the report.
- The Homeshare Pilots evaluation final report
- The Homeshare Pilots evaluation executive summary
- Technical appendix
- Film summarising key aspects of this work
- Homeshare UK
About Homeshare in the UK
- Homeshare UK is the network for all Homeshare schemes in the UK and Republic of Ireland. Partners work closely with Homeshare International.
- As of May 2018 there are some 20 schemes around the UK with 350 matches involved. The network has grown by 35% over the last year
- Homeshare has proven to be a popular model across the US and Europe with schemes successfully operating in 14 countries worldwide.
- HomeShare UK supports, guides and is the national voice for Homeshare schemes.
- The quality standards developed by Homeshare UK ensure network members self-regulate and continuously improve their practices so that they are safe and effective.