We’re there when you need it…
Our members tell us being a Shared Lives carer can be a rewarding experience as you see someone else grow and receive so much in return. With Membership of Shared Lives Plus you can use a range of support services to make life easier and know there’s back up when you need it. From tax returns to mortgage and legal advice – we’re there for you.
What is included in Shared Lives Plus Membership and how you can make the most of it this year:
Peace of mind
- Helpline – confidential and free advice and support for any question about Shared Lives
- “Ask the Legal Expert” - one hour of free legal advice from our legal partners, Jackson Canter, including benefits, debt, housing and general social care queries
- Discounted help with tax returns
- Keep up to date with laws affecting your role
- Personal development modules enabling you to understand Shared Lives’ values, deliver support confidently and refresh your Shared Lives way of life
- Mediation support
- Free will writing service - new
- Mortgage advice which understands Shared Lives carers’ self-employed income
- Car, travel, house and contents insurance - (10% discount on your current insurers’ rates for the first year)
- Free legal representation if criminal charges are made against you and legal advice to help you challenge de-approval (primary Shared Lives carers only).
- Stay up to date with Shared Lives across the UK – feel connected with other Shared Lives carers, keep up to date with best practice across Shared Lives Plus network through Sharing our quarterly magazine
- Regional and national campaigns to promote Shared Lives
People like me
- Log into the Shared Lives carers’ online forum
- Free local, regional and national teleconferences to talk with other Shared Lives carers and ask our carer support team directly about issues affecting you
- Meet others for support, friendship and fun. We offer practical support and advice to develop and maintain a Shared Lives carer group in your area.
- Local, regional and national meetings and events
- Free discounts on everyday shopping, holidays, products and services, food and drink and much more with our Wider Wallet scheme (see article)
- Discounted entrance at Shared Lives Plus Annual Conference
Full membership also includes public liability insurance, so we can cover you for personal injury or property damage to a third person. Some schemes cover you automatically, but if not, you will need our full Membership to cover you. You can call us to check if you’re covered.
Discount for Joint Membership
If there is a second approved Shared Lives carer living with you, for example your partner, you will need Joint Membership so that you are both covered for any legal expenses or advice if an allegation is brought against the second approved Shared Lives carers. It’s only £10 more for full Membership or £15 for basic Membership, so make sure you’re covered and enjoy all the other benefits too.
What is public liability insurance?
When you care for an elderly or disabled person you may be legally liable, should someone suffer a loss or be injured as a result of the actions of the person in your care, or under your supervision.
Public Liability insurance protects Shared Lives carers from claims arising from personal injury or property damage to a third party as a result of alleged negligence on your part.
We have partnered with Towergate for many years as they understand the unique nature of family-based Shared Lives care and have developed a policy which provides effective and broad cover. Towergate’s Public Liability policies also include being sued by a service user for abuse cover for physical, mental or financial losses.
Wider Wallet – get discounts on everyday shopping, online, gift cards and vouchers
As part of your Membership of Shared Lives Plus, you can use Wider Wallet for free. It’s a website with lots of offers to save you money and includes online discounts, cashback offers, reloadable discounted gift cards and downloadable vouchers. For example, you can save 3% at Asda, 6% at B&Q, 7% at Bella Italia or 10% at Cineworld on cinema tickets. Register for free, simply click onwww.widerwallet.com enter the code we will give you when you become a Member.
Mortgage advice specifically for Shared Lives carers
New Membership benefit - free will writing service
Around 20%, every one in £5 that we receive, comes from Membership fees and contributes towards the Membership offer for support when you need it. But, we spend almost £2.50 in every £5, 50%, of our entire income, directly on supporting Members. A further seven in £10, 70%, of our income comes from funding grants from the Big Lottery, NHS England, Nesta, Welsh Assembly and others which also contributes to Members’ support and enables us to grow and develop Shared Lives for more people. It also helps us develop advice and guidance for Shared Lives carers and schemes supporting people with diverse range of support needs.
To join Shared Lives Plus, please dowload, fill out and send us an application form.